• (909) 336-4074
    Call us for your estimate!
    Serving ALL of Southern California!
Home > About Copp Roofing, Inc. > News > New Law Regarding Required Carbon Monoxide Sensors

New Law Regarding Required Carbon Monoxide Sensors

Date: September 19, 2011

As of July 1, 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill – SB 183) will require all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide alarms within the home by July 1, 2011. Owners of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, have until January 1, 2013 to comply with the law.

Important Information for Copp Roofing Customers Regarding Your Home Improvement Project

(Cal. Health & Safety Code § 17926.2(b).)  California State Building Department Inspectors will not sign off on permits for alterations, repairs or additions exceeding $1,000 until the CO devices listed on the California State Fire Marshal Approved Carbon Monoxide Alarms List are properly installed.

Per the San Bernardino Building Department: Combo units (CO sensor and smoke detector combination units) are required on each level of a house or building, including basements, installed outside the access to each bedroom.  This new law applies to all homes or buildings with gas appliances and attached garages.  Homes or building with all electric appliances and detached garages are exempt.  Additionally, smoke detectors are required within each bedroom.  For a final inspection to be signed off by an inspector, owners must provide access to the inspector for inspection and confirmation of properly installed sensors.

How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Install the alarms outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. This will warn you if the CO level rises in any part of the house.
  • Ensure the alarms are plugged in, clear of dust and debris and have working batteries.
  • Make sure you have the detector installed high up in your home. One placed near the floor will only detect the gas when it has almost completely filled the room.
  • Consider having your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a trained professional before every heating season
  • Don't idle the car in the garage. Even a short period of time is enough to fill the small space with gas.
  • Avoid using a gas-powered engine or a charcoal grill indoors where carbon monoxide may fill the enclosed area.
  • Never ignore the symptoms (dizziness, nausea, headaches and sudden tiredness). If you are feeling them, you could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing. Get out of the house and into fresh air immediately.

For More Information: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Carbon Monoxide (CO) Devices

Return to news page

Share this: